Poised flawlessly between city and shore, El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton, will celebrate its grand reopening on December 14, just in time for the holiday season and winter travel. The 388-guestroom iconic hotel will once again continue to thrive with traditions renewed as guests are enchanted by an authentic welcome, thoughtful service, and exceptional programming that originates from the heart of Puerto Rico.
Located on two miles of the pristine Isla Verde Beach, recently voted the Best Urban Beach in the U.S., the extensive restoration process is reflected in the hotel’s guest rooms, poolside and oceanfront villas, public spaces, pools, luxurious cabanas and lush landscaping, interweaving modern tropical splendor with Old-World grandeur.
“We’re thrilled to be a part of this milestone moment in Puerto Rico’s recovery, and for the destination’s hospitality industry, as El San Juan Hotel marks a premier luxury destination within the Caribbean,” says Martin Smith, Managing Director of El San Juan Hotel, Curio Collection by Hilton. “Both rich in history and contemporary in style, the hotel has served as the beating heart of Puerto Rico since it debuted in 1958. We are experience-ready with a rejuvenated look, incomparable amenities and authentic, island hospitality.”
In line with last year’s $65 million renovation and coupled with an appreciation for the art and craftsmanship found throughout the property, the hotel’s ownership has spectacularly maintained El San Juan Hotel’s original look and feel. This highly anticipated grand reopening has returned the resort to its former sophistication featuring its iconic chandelier, distinguished hand-carved Mahogany that adorns the ceiling, columns and vaulted arches throughout the lobby and the registration area. All grand tower guest rooms, poolside and oceanfront villas and suites-featuring two signature suites, have been restored to El San Juan Hotel’s classic aesthetic, while also being enhanced to accommodate the needs of today’s guests looking to visit Puerto Rico, with a unique blend of historic and modern design.
Boasting four pools, multiple food and beverage offerings including the island’s top nightclub, BRAVA, and a new state-of-the-art tri-level Well & Being Fitness Center, the cherished landmark celebrates San Juan’s resiliency and modernity, as the hotel will once again embrace guests with classic island culture and new traditions-in-the-making, all while creating memorable experiences.
“The reopening of El San Juan Hotel comes at a perfect time during Puerto Rico’s holiday season—which happens to be one of the longest in the world,” says Leah Chandler, Chief Marketing Officer of Discover Puerto Rico. “Luxury offerings like El San Juan appeal strongly to leisure and business travelers who seek impeccable service, rich amenities and reimagined accommodations. Discover Puerto Rico is thrilled to welcome this property back to the market for travelers to book, experience and enjoy.”
“El San Juan Hotel has been an important partner over the past year,” says Carla Campos, Puerto Rico Tourism Company’s executive director. As a result of a strong collaboration between the Puerto Rico Tourism Company and the hotel’s ownership and management, today’s announcement is just another sign of how fast our tourism industry has resurged and contributed to the stabilization of Puerto Rico’s economy. On behalf of Governor Ricardo Rosselló Nevares, we congratulate El San Juan Hotel’s management and everyone who worked hard on the construction and remodeling phase of this iconic flagship hotel, showing a true commitment to help us rebuild a stronger and better tourist destination.”
Re-opening with newly refreshed guest rooms and suites, thoughtfully designed by Jeffrey Beers, El San Juan Hotel’s accommodations feature floor-to-ceiling windows, sensor-activated air conditioning, a large HDTV and complimentary WiFi. With 11 distinctive room categories, spanning ocean, city and pool facing guestrooms, suites, pool and ocean villas and two specialty suites, guests can choose from a collection of scenic accommodations.
Restaurant and Bar Experiences
El San Juan Hotel features live entertainment and creative mixology, fashioning a refreshing ambiance that vibrates with excitement:
- Chandelier Bar: Perfectly positioned beneath the exquisite main feature chandelier, Chandelier Bar is a staple of El San Juan Hotel’s nightlife and is the lobby’s center piece. It offers perennial favorites along with signature cocktails, bathing its patrons in the gleaming aura of its crystal Czechoslovakian centerpiece – which is also the third largest oval chandelier of its kind in the world. The unique piece of art weighs 4,000 pounds and has 185 lightbulbs and 7,000 pieces of glass. Chandelier Bar is legendary in Puerto Rico and strongly associated by locals with unforgettable moments spent at El San Juan.
- 1958: El San Juan’s rum bar, situated in the main lobby, pays homage to the hotel’s inaugural year and Puerto Rico’s national spirit, rum. The bar’s extensive rum collection of vintage spirits and elixirs can be enjoyed in specialty craft cocktails or neat.
- Wine Bar: Located beneath the seductive glow of an exceptional modern lighting sculpture in the lobby, Wine Bar offers an incomparable selection of wines by the glass, including excellent vintages from the most renowned vineyards along with more specialized varietals from artisan wineries.
- El Cafecito: Located in the lobby, El Cafecito features locally-roasted Alto Grande coffee, a daily offering of grab-and-go breakfast and lunch fare–from delicious baked breads, fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits, to sandwiches, salads and pastries.
- Caña by Juliana Gonzales: A local islander born and raised in Puerto Rico, who for the last 15 years has worked in and led some of the finest restaurants in Spain and Miami, Juliana Gonzales’ restaurant offers a new wave of socially and environmentally mindful ways of eating. Sourcing ingredients from local farmers, fishermen and small businesses, Caña by Juliana Gonzales is an original concept that bonds island tourists with Puerto Rico’s refined culinary heritage. The restaurant features a lively indoor space and lush outdoor terrace overlooking the pool. Outdoor bar and pool service will also be available.
- Meat Market: As a truly contemporary steakhouse boasting a sophisticated ambiance and sizzling with Miami and New York City style energy, Meat Market is a happening bar scene and features a pioneering menu with a variety of prime cuts of meat, exceptional seafood and other cutting-edge gastronomy. Meat Market also offers a variety of amazing sides, appetizers and a top-notch Wine Spectator award-winning wine list –all infused with an artful, contemporary spin.
Celebrations, Meetings and Entertainment
El San Juan Hotel is a place where locals, visitors, and groups gather for special events. Alive with energy and entertainment, the hotel brings people together to drink, dine and delight. From first-class entertainment to jovial celebrations and serene relaxation, the traditions that form El San Juan Hotel are infused in every experience.
- Meetings & Events Spaces: With nearly 40,000 square feet of space, including a newly redesigned 11,000 square-foot grand ballroom, the hotel is available for hosting a wide array of meetings, conferences, business events and social celebrations.
- BRAVA Nightclub: Combining the high-energy exhilaration of a nightclub with the immersive atmosphere of an upscale lounge, Club BRAVA is a hallmark of Puerto Rican nightlife. Recently redesigned by Mark Lehmkul, BRAVA, spanning two floors, combines elegant décor evoking a luxurious chandeliered library with cutting-edge lighting, sound and projection systems.
- Chico Cabaret: El San Juan Hotel’s secret hotspot, Chico Cabaret features captivating live cabaret entertainment and innovative cocktails in an alluringly intimate setting. Just off the main lobby, it is a vibrant local favorite and a unique discovery for in-house guests that offers an unparalleled VIP experience.
The hotel approaches wellness with a vigor that mimics the energy of the lobby. Guests can find active, energetic experiences at the pool or at the state of the art tri-level Well & Being Fitness Center. Well & Being provides expanded fitness services with robust offerings, including Pilates, vertical wall yoga, TRX and CrossFit, group cycle, and more. The center is surrounded by lush landscape and pool views and features an open air rooftop with punching bags and training equipment for workouts alfresco.
About El San Juan Hotel
El San Juan Hotel is an iconic 388-room destination resort situated on two miles of the pristine Isla Verde Beach, recently voted the Best Urban Beach in the U.S., within Puerto Rico. The property features nearly 40,000-square feet of meeting space including a newly redesigned 11,000-square foot grand ballroom, along with four pools, multiple food and beverage offerings including BRAVA, the island’s top nightclub. Additional amenities include the tri-level state-of-the-art Well & Being Fitness Center, tennis courts, water sports, and poolside luxury cabanas. Recently voted “Best Urban Beach in the U.S.” by USA Today, the hotel is easily accessible, located just two miles from Puerto Rico’s Luis Muñoz Marin International Airport, and 15 minutes from San Juan Cruise Port. The property is part of Curio Collection by Hilton, an exclusive portfolio of one-of-a-kind hotels and resorts handpicked for their unique character.
About Curio Collection by Hilton
Curio Collection by Hilton is an upper upscale, global portfolio of more than 60 one-of-a-kind hotels and resorts handpicked for their unique character. Curio Collection properties appeal to travelers seeking unexpected and authentic experiences, and the benefits of Hilton’s award-winning guest loyalty program, Hilton Honors.